“And Jesus said unto them, I am the bread of life: he that cometh to me shall never hunger; and he that believeth on me shall never thirst.” John 6:35
With weather in the 90’s now I need to get up in the morning about 5:30 to get started on watering my garden before I head off to work for the day. Since I am up so early- I thought I’d come up with a way to make a good breakfast for my kiddos without heating up the house. I don’t have a bread machine, and I have read in various places online that you can make bread in a crockpot. So, in effort to make something totally inventive, I made up my very own fruit bread breakfast recipe for the crockpot. It is not a fluffy bread, but rather a moist and slightly sweet bread. I didn’t want to copy any recipe for bread that I had in my cookbooks- so I just mixed together many of the common ingredients of breadmaking and came up with this. I was pleasantly surprised and hope you’ll enjoy it as well!
Combine these ingredients in Mixing bowl number 1:
- 1 cup warm milk
- 2 tbsp margarine (I’m sure butter will work, but I didnt have any on hand)
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 package yeast
- 2 cups fresh fruit (I chose blueberries and chopped apple pieces)
Combine these ingredients in Mixing bowl number 2:
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tbsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup chopped nuts of choice (I like almonds)
1. After mixing each bowl of ingredients, pour bowl number 1 mixture into bowl number 2 (liquid to dry).
2. Stir and knead mixtures together until you have a dough.
3. Divide dough into 2 parts and place in 2 greased loaf pans. (I have a large crockpot…)
4. Place a few cups of water into the crockpot and place wire rack inside of crockpot (there are other varying ideas if you don’t have a wire rack- please contact me and I’ll be happy to share).
5. Place loaf pans onto wire rack and put lid on crockpot.
6. Turn crockpot on to 375 degrees and bake for 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Insert toothpicks towards end of baking time to see if done (toothpick will be clean).
7. Remove pans from crockpot and turn bread over onto a cooling wire rack.
8. Slice and serve with butter and honey for a great breakfast treat!
Other Possible Additions:
- Chopped Pecans
- Chocolate Chips
Stay tuned for my posting of: Homemade Herb Butter Croutons- or go to my website this week to see it now! http://delightfullyperceptive.com/perceptive_delectables/a_delectable_recipe